So.... it was my daughter's first day of middle school today! Im not going to tell you how I drove her and went below the speed limit all the way to town (for the first time since we moved!) Im not going to tell you how I held back the tears the whole way... I wont discuss how I had not one word of wisdom to impart other than to "sit by the girl at lunch with a book". Nor will I begin to touch on the terrifiying feeling in my cheast when I saw all the cell phones, and make-up, and crusty looks on the other kids! NOT one friggn word about all of the repressed memories that flooded my insides! What I want to share is My morning before we left the house! ........
So........ I wake up, wake her up, take care of dogs, wonder with my coffee back to my room and the panic begins to set in. I think to myself.... What in the hell am I going to wear? I begin glancing over the clothes in the closet making mental notes "no not that, no not that, uggg hum, deffinatly not that!" I wonder back into the kitchen hollering a wake up at the bedroom door, make some breakfast, feed the dogs, refil the coffee and wonder back down to the bedroom. Now I begin ruffling through the clothes, tossing the outcasts aside, strip to the unders and start puting things on..... NOW begins the process every single woman on the face of the planet knows oh so well......(I am throwing the "I have nothing to fckn wear girl fit") I am dressing and stripping and riffling and tossing, and still am not landing on the perfect outfit that says: I am a good and responsible parent to the adults, I am a cool mom to the kids, and lastly but most importantly wont make my daughter mortified by my precence! All the while In this process I am wondering back through the house to "calmly and confidently" cheak on my daughter who to my amazment is wellll..... fine, ok, cherry, dressed? She haveing put on the exact clothes she picked out and set out the night before! And is calmly eating breakfast at the kitchen table! Where the hell did this freak of nature come from.... and how is it that I, ME, have raised a child more equipped to haddle life than I am? Alright so at this point my brain is busy analizing and I settle on a choice (not much different than the clothes I wore yesterday mind you) Wonder through the bathroom and brush my teeth and grumble at my hair (omg what am I going to do with my hair?) .............. Somewhere around my fourth cup of coffee and about 13 minutes before we need to go I wander past my daughter's room to make the final check and ........ the door is locked!! So I say "let me in" ..... "hold on".... "now"...... "we dont lock doors in this house"..... "ok geez" and what does the open door find??? There she is trying to wipe off the mascara she just put on, and freaking out about her hair!! (whew there was noo alien abduction after all) So we chat a minute and calm down and I go to my room remembering a small unopened burt's bee's (wich is our fav and she never gets her owb cause its spendy!) Ahh I think a little gift, its not mascara, or lipgloss, or god forbid a cell phone, but it's what I got, and the compramize I'm willing to take! I grab it, take it to the kitchen where I stash "My Sharpies" and draw a smiley face on the back sending with it my one and only wish "Universe just be lighter on her than you were on me!" I take it to her and tell her its got a smile on it for her pocket so that she always has one........ quickly responding she says "Dork" (thank god I picked the perfect outfit after all) and I tell her that her hair looks pretty! She slings the already packed backbag over her shoulder and we are off. OFF to my daughter's first day of Middle School!
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment